I watched Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium this last weekend. It was a pretty decent movie (made better by watching it in Blu-Ray and surround sound). It may not have the best story line, action sequences, or romance, but it is certainly worth a few bucks to rent the movie. There was one line in the middle of the movie that was great.
Mr. Magorium said to Mahoney, “You Are An Occasion… So Rise To It!”
I am amazed on the constant battle within myself to settle. To settle for being an average father, Christian, husband, man, wage earner, and to simply be complacent with life around me. Being so busy with life, having our schedules jam packed with things to do, we have squeezed out all that is left to rise to higher heights.
I really believe we need to listen to Seth Godin’s book again, The Dip, and ask the question of ourselves, “What do I need to quit?”
In fact, that is the banner on my cellphone. I have had that on my cell phone for the last 9 months. What do I need to give up so I can be better at what I am doing and have the margin in my life so that I can live.
- How long has it been since I went golfing?
- How long has it been since I went fishing?
- How long has it been since I played Monopoly?
- How long has it been since I went for a lazy drive in the country?
- How long has it been since I sat in a hotel room completely removed from my responsibilities?
The answer – too long.
You Are An Occasion… So Rise To It!